Monday, March 25, 2013

Diamond and Alpes

Diamond and Alpes are two lovely dogs of my friend Anna from Taiwan. Diamond is a one-year old Corgi and Alpes is a three-month old Samoye, both are boys. Actually, before I knew them, I always love puppies because puppies are much more cutter. However, through interaction with the two lovely "big" dogs, I found they perform equally with puppies in terms of acting cute. They'll excitedly welcome me everytime I visit Anna. They jump on me, lick me and even kiss me (which I barely can resist, they are big and strong). I really love Aples who always acts like a naughty boy; while when he feels tried, he'll sit on my feet and rest,  which is really a sweet moment. For Alpes, I am not threatening and even make him feel safe and comfortable; For me, being accepted and trusted is an important source of my self-affirmation and happiness. I have similar experiences when I was working in a todder's room where I am welcomed by those innocent babies.

Diamond and Aples also served as a bridge to connect Anna and me. Anna strongly supports Taiwan independence while I, like most international students from mainland China, insist that Taiwan is a part of China. And political position is not a taboo between us and sometimes we can even jest with each other. This may because we are both straightforward person. On the one hand, we maintain our own position, on the other hand, we listen to and respect others. Regardless of this huge difference, we share a lot of commonalities except for loving dogs; we both love travelling, music, shopping and believe in love.
I strongly felt that sometimes, hatred and discrimination is aimed at an abstract concept, but not a concrete person who may share the same system of values with you.






2 comments:

  1. What a wonderful story -- the dogs being a diplomatic bridge, allowing two disparate political views, or people who hold them, both rational people, to come together respectfully in friendship. I think that is marvelous. It helps you learn so much about each other's humanity and each other's worldview, without focusing on the issues that divide. Doggie diplomacy?! Why didn't our world leaders think of that!?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes,I really appreciate my friendship with Anna. Back to 3 years ago when I first came to US, I was so sensitive to issues like Taiwan or Tibet independence. After making friends with people from different places, I found my concept of nationality becomes not so rigid and I am a more peaceful person open to most possibilities. The world is so complicated and different, without communication based on mutual respect, hatred and discrimination will never disappear ... I always told myself not to make judgement, especially those unfair ones, before seeing the whole picture.

      Delete