Tuesday, February 26, 2013

The Cross-Stitch

Almost three years ago, I totally felt in love with cross-stitch. At that time, I bought plenty of materials for embroidery and seized every minute of my spare time to do needle-work. The thing I love this recreation most is that I can immediately immerse myself into this somewhat mechanical process due to its low starting point.

Cross-stitch is not like group games in which the enjoyment comes from communicating with people either through cooperation or competition. Rather, cross-stitch is a single game where only the self and the play object are involved. Personally, my enjoyment of this recreation may mainly be attributed to the flow and sense of achievement. Just as I mentioned above, cross-stitch is an easy-to-learn activity and once understanding the logic of it, people can rapidly absorb themselves into what they are doing. Therefore, my conclusion is that the easier the task is, the more likely that people are going to experience flow. However, just as Vygotsky mentioned that children's development is based on the zone of proximal development, I think with regard to the sense of achievement of adults, this is also the case. Therefore, after finishing several projects of easy patterns, my enjoyment elapsed and I have to pursue more complicated ones to maintain my enjoyment. However, here comes another problem. Since the one I chose (The Chinese-style Coat) to challenge myself is too complicated and this is really time-consuming and patience required, I quickly gave up and left it there for almost 3 years and just picked it up several days ago. After such a long period, I really didn't know where to start and I have to go through the "protocol" again, which is the most tough part and not fun at all. However, after you get through it, just enjoy!

I am really looking forward to completing the project I am working on now. And I am also thinking about the higher level of this recreation, that is no settled parttern exist, you have to create your own pattern to start with. In this case, imagination and creativity will be involved!


 







No comments:

Post a Comment